Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Why does this look so bad?

Sometimes I am mystified by why an outfit looks so bad. This is a checkered Theory shirtdress. The colors are a bit untraditional but I like the yellow and purple thing. I am wearing a pair of black leggings with it. Shirt dress and leggings; how innocuous can you get? But somehow it looks terrible.

Unbelted
So I tried on a couple of pairs of leggings and tights. Because the bottom of the dress is open due to few buttons and the presence of a large bottom affixed to the back of my thighs, wearing tights or very tight leggings made it look like I was flashing folks. No good for work. So I decided that I needed a pair of leggings that look like "pants" rather than "tights" so I went with these thicker Hue leggings.
Since the dress is loose, I thought that a belt would spiffy this mess up a bit. No:



OMG
The belt really accentuates my big square hips and protruding bred-dough encased belly. And it caused the dress to pop up at a funny angle at the bottom. How wrong can you get?

In the end, I went to work with the dress unbelted. It is so comfortable I feel like I am at work in my pyjamas but who cares. My reputation as an eccentric old bag is intact and there's no fashion mishap that will change that.



1 comment:

  1. Objective thoughts: leggings are the wrong color, I would suggest lighter and brighter, one of the colors in the pattern. You have good legs and don't need to minimize them. I can't see the top, but potentially a matching cami. No belt. IMHO

    ReplyDelete