Monday, September 16, 2013

Everybody panic!

So this Sunday, Philip Lim for Target went on sale. I was very excited because I like Philip Lim and I was delighted at the prospect of getting some of his nice designs in washable polyester for 30 bucks. BUT THEN: I remembered this blog. I remembered my New Year's Resolution. I had a vicious argument with myself all day on Saturday. "But it's Philip Lim!" "But you promised!" "Jackets weren't included!"

It was kind of funny. I grimly set about refreshing my browser into the wee hours, hoping to get access to the Target site at 9 pm PST ("it's midnight EST!") to no avail. By using some fancy internet footwork (ahem) I was able to load the leather jacket into my shopping cart at about 10 pm. However I did not pull the trigger on it as I was worried about sizes. By 7 am on Sunday, when I woke up, all of the tuxedo jacket and pants were sold out. In fact, they were listed as sold out in the local stores even before the stores had opened. Interesting.

Later that same day I was at Target looking for gunea pig chow and lo and behold: there were some of the pieces from the Philip Lim collection! Not all the stuff, and the sizes had been pillaged. I grabbed a handful of things to look over and try on. And guess whay? Most of the pieces were meh. Quality was pretty good on most of the things. The classy draped dress was nicely made and is a possibility. The shirts were less so, and the only one I likes was the grey sparkle T shirt. Kind of disappointing, really. The pants were all long gone.

In the end I was true to my Resolution even though I walked right up to the brink. So no, I don't have stong enough willpower. I was stopped by my taste rather than my conscience. Hmmm. Not very flattering.

Next source of panic was from my beloved sister. My lovely, genius sister is blessed with great taste in clothes and plenty of money. Fortunately for me and my daughter, my sister often changes her mind about her clothes and sends articles down the line to us poor relations. She handed a set of shirts off to send to my daughter this Sunday, but I intercepted the one I have on today:

One handed!
This pretty shirt is from Joie. Its flowery silk (!) with multiple patterns and its sleeveless with a very high neckline at the shoulders.

Now: this is a hand me down so it doesn't count. Right? Right?

I will send all the other shirts to my daughter as intended. But I love this hippy dippy old woman thing that I have going on here. It's one of the real mes.

2 comments:

  1. Laughed laughed laughed. One thing I don't get, and my daughter chastises me, shorter sweater than shirt, i guess I have trouble with two lines. Just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daughter is correct! Shorter jacket than shirt is "in". In my case, it is a natural occurence of sweater shirt combos I'm forced to make. But it's OK so I wear it out of the house.

    ReplyDelete